Things to Do in Sausalito
There are endless things to do in Sausalito, whether you want to bike, hike, sail, shop or even just sit, eat and drink by the Bay–Sausalito has it all!
Stop in to our Sausalito Chamber of Commerce Visitor Center, located at the Sausalito Ferry Landing. Visitor Information and Referrals for all your activities and dining while visiting Sausalito.
Daniel Merriam's Bubble Street Gallery was founded in August 2012 by artist Daniel Merriam. Known for his prolific exploration of the romantically surreal, Merriam offers visitors a first-hand glimpse into the visual pleasure dome within which he has fostered his career and way of life. Merriam created a space dedicated to the theme of his work, bringing in artists and craftspeople who contribute to the same vernacular of contemporary surrealism.
Gallery Sausalito represents a contemporary collection of original, fine art works. We are obsessed with texture and color. Visit our gallery and you’ll see what we mean! We are located in charming downtown Sausalito. In addition to seeing our gallery collection, enjoy and observe gallery owner, Sue Averell working in her art studio. “I feel that sharing my creative process with people helps them to connect with my art on a more personal level”.
The Sausalito Historical Society (located at 780 Bridgeway) is currently closed due to renovation. The organization is excited to be revamping its exhibit at the Ice House Museum into a interactive multi-media showcase of Sausalito History.
Be a part of a totally reimagined Sausalito History Museum (at the Ice House) that integrates the recently constructed Ice House Plaza with a state-of-the-art center for residents, students and visitors to explore Sausalito’s history.
Join Us for a Historic Culinary Tour in Sausalito. Follow our Sausalito Food & Wine experts along a culinary experience of our downtown village with colorful, renowned restaurants and optional wine. Given Sausalito’s popularity with local and out-of-town tourists, we have been interspersing culinary delights with delicious bites of local history since 2016. Explore Sausalito through your discerning palate by taking a Food & Wine Walking Tour of some of the best restaurants, expert pairings with rich stories of our town's past!
New 2023 Excurions and Tours
Specialized Excursion and Tours
- The Tour Store offers connections to Muir Woods and Golden Gate Bridge with our ''Muir Woods Express'' from Sausalito. We also provide Alcatraz packages that include Sausalito dining options. Experience the finest in family fun and tours blended with friendly service.
- Sea Trek offers a number of specialized excursions that are perfect for teams, families and friends and even solo travelers. Enjoy Scenic Kayak Tours, Full Moon Kayak Trips, Bird Watching from your Kayak, Outdoor Photography while Paddling as well as its Annual SUP Regatta each October.
Art, Artists & Galleries
Sausalito has long been famous for its many working artists and their studios, as well as the Open Studios held twice a year. The city is also home to a collection of fabulous galleries with investment quality fine art to whimsical creations.
Check our Event Calendar for dates.
Art Galleries include:
- Adele Gilani Art Gallery
- Bubble Street Gallery
- Burlwood Gallery
- Galerie Elektra
- Gallery Sausalito
- Hanson Gallery Fine Art
- Kokopelli Gallery
- Scrimshaw Gallery
- Tivoli Home Decor
- For a truly Sausalito experience, visit over 100 local artists in residence at the famous ICB Artist Studios at 480 Gate Five Road, Schoonmaker Artists at 10 Liberty Ship Way, and the MLK Buildings at 100 Ebbtide and 610 Coloma Streets at the north end of town.
- Visit Heath Ceramics for beautifully hand-crafted tableware and tile, gift ideas, wedding registry, factory store and historic factory tours.
- Sausalito Center For The Arts opened in 2021 at 750 Bridgeway when a consortium of city organizations including the Sausalito Art Festival Foundation, ICB Arts Association, Marin Open Studios, community, business and art leaders joined forces to create a vibrant and active arts association supporting a variety of artistic programs for artists, residents, and visitors alike.
Tasting Rooms ... Wine, Caviar, Spirits!
Sausalito is not only the gateway to Wine Country, we bring it to you—Enjoy our Wine and Caviar Tasting Rooms right here while you visit our beautiful city!
- Gourmet Food & Wine Tours experts will take you on a culinary experience of Sausalito’s downtown village with colorful, renowned restaurants and optional wine. Walking tour is interspersed with culinary delights with delicious bites of local history.
- Real Napa offers hand crafted wines with a host of daily essentials to experience the Wine Country with a San Francisco view.
- Experience California Wine Country in downtown Sausalito with a view of the Bay at Bacchus & Venus Wine Tasting Room
- Hanson of Sonoma Distillery Tasting Room is in the heart of downtown, come enjoy the spectacular views of the Bay and explore the extensive art collection of Hanson Fine Art Gallery.
- Book a reservation in the California Caviar Company Bump Bar Tasting Room located on Bridgeway and enjoy the best caviar in the USA!
Unique Activities & Tours
Sausalito is full of fabulous places to see on land and by the bay. Explore all these activities and tours and make your stay memorable!
On the Waterfront
- Learn about the history and personality of the historic Sausalito houseboats at the north end. Experience many docks and houseboats themselves on an engaging and fun in-depth tour led by the owners, by reservation for groups up to 10 through the Floating Homes Association.
Explore Sausalito through your discerning palate. Gourmet Food & Wine Tours has a passion for storytelling and creating elevating experiences that connect people through food & wine (3 hour tour)
Art Excursions & Tours
- Watercolor classes and team-building experiences with Art by Lucinda Eubanks
- Sign up for a ceramics class at Sausalito Pottery or other classes through the Parks & Recreation Department
Hidden Walkways, Stairs, Secrets & Tours
Discover the hidden walkways and stairs in the hills of Sausalito
- Check out the Sausalito Insiders Guide with over 1,000 locally-written pages with info & links for food, fun, music & activities
Nautical & Adventure Tours
- Looking for a once in a lifetime trip on the bay, book aboard Schooner Freda B for both for public sails and private charters.
- Take an Aerial Tour aboard Seaplane Adventures take in views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Muir Woods and more by plane or helicopter!
- Cruise the Bay, ferry to Angel Island and more aboard Angel Island Tiburon Ferry Inc.
- Learn about Sausalito’s rich maritime history by visiting Call of the Sea,
- Have fun on a Kayak or Stand-Up Paddleboard with Sea Trek, providing rentals, classes and tours
- Take sailing lessons with Modern Sailing School
- Charter a private boat with Shanutski - Charter Tours
- Visit the Spaulding Marine Center and learn about our Maritime history and boat building here in Sausalito!
Entertaining Kids of all Ages (big and small!)
There are a number of wonderful activities and adventures or lovely parks and beaches for playing and a picnic—for kids of all ages in Sausalito
- Public Beach is located at Schoonmaker Marina Beach
- Visit one of our playgrounds & basketball courts at Robin Sweeny Park on Caledonia Street, South View Park (North and Third Street), Dunphy Park, Gabrielson Park, Harrison Playground and Cloud View Park
- Take a trip out to Point Bointa YMCA for class, hike or group activity on the bluffs of the coast
Looking for information on Corporate Retreats, Conferences and Team Building?
We're pleased to partner with Visit Sausalito and the City of Sausalito's Destination Sausalito to provide the most wonderful stay and optimum experience in Sausalito. For more information visit their websites and follow them on social media. Everything you are looking for about Visiting Sausalito is here—Events, Specials and new content are always being added!
Tag them or follow them here #VisitSausalito @VisitSausalito #DestinationSausalito @DestinationSausalito
What Visitors are Saying
We talked with Patricia at the Visitor Info Desk by the ferry ... she’s better than google! She helped us figure out the best way for our family to do the Golden Gate Bridge—Thank you!
Kristina L. – Atlanta, GA
“After cycling from San Francisco over the Golden Gate Bridge we free-wheeled it down to Sausalito. It is a beautiful town with fantastic views over San Francisco Bay to Alcatraz and the city. Loads of great restaurants, bars and coffee shops to visit and it is definitely worth the visit. It made for a great day out and was one of the highlights of our trip!”
Jaco J. – United Kingdom