Live Work & Play – in Sausalito
There are a lot of good reasons to stay in Sausalito and support your local merchants, not the least of which is that they support you. Our local businesses—hotels, restaurants and retail shops as well as professional services generate more than 50% of the City’s operational budget. In other words, a strong, sustainable economy, ensures that the programs and services the city provide including: parks, public safety services, public library and infrastructure repairs such as street and sewer services are maintained regularly.
If our goal is to not be a big box store community, and we want to maintain the unique character of Sausalito, we need to support our small local businesses, services and boutiques.
Shop Caledonia Street!
In the past few years, this “local” shopping area has experienced a renaissance with new merchants who are redefining the area, mobilizing others and working together.
They are drawing locals to the street and attracting a new, younger demographic of hip and affluent residents. Local’s including those who work in the Marinship area are drawn to Caledonia Street because of the fine services available.
- Be sure to stop in some cool new stores and galleries rounding out Caledonia Street. Tivoli Decor is a great place to find unique things that are stylish, sculptural, interesting and will accent any home! Adele Gilani Art Gallery is an art gallery featuring works by living artists from California and beyond that is bold, inspiring and memorable.
- Sausalito Optometry uses state of the art ophthalmic equipment, comprehensive eye care services, and carries an extensive selection of designer eyewear for all ages.
- Driver’s Market is a family-run market offering organic produce, natural foods, a fine selection of wines and a fabulous deli with fresh prepared foods.
- Katya Glass Jewelry is an artisan-crafted collection of uniquely-styled and brilliantly-colored sterling silver and fused glass jewelry.
- Sartaj India Cafe has returned and joins the venerable Sushi Ran and Smitty’s Bar making Caledonia a robust and multi-faceted restaurant and bar destination.
- For the home: Eco-Terric (formerly Pine Street Natural Interiors) features non-toxic furniture, organic bedding and custom window coverings; Sausalito Picture Framing has cornered the local market for quality picture framing and Waterstreet Hardware & Marine is a veritable hardware emporium with everything from screwdrivers and paint to coffee pots and foul weather gear.
Downtown has really flourished the last couple of years and continues to offer far more than just the standard tourist fare. Many of our residents have invested locally and opened up shop so there are plenty of fresh options for locals too.
One of our most diverse sections of downtown is our historic section located on Princess Street and Princess Court. Beautiful, unique and specialized shops and galleries round out our beautiful downtown shopping district.
Check out these great spots:
- LoveMarin is one of our newest and exciting stores downtown featuring local landscape photography, handmade home decor and much more.
- Sausalito Books by the Bay, Games People Play, Sausalito Ferry Company and Soxalito are favorites among locals and tourist alike!
- Contemporary and designer jewelry can be found at Sausalito Jewelers, silver and fun fashion jewelry at Jewelry by the Bay. Burlwood Gallery blends art and one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Classy and trendy stores such as 2bella Boutique, Hubba Hubba and Soxalito all offer a wide variety of women’s fashion, style and price range. Only in Sausalito has the largest retailer of gifts and apparel.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth at Sausalito Sweets, our very own retro candy shop serving local ice cream, chocolates & homemade fudge.
- Artisan galleries and venues including Bachhus & Venus, Gallery Sausalito, Scrimshaw Gallery and Studio 333 Downtown.
- Be sure to stop in at Sausalito's very own Hanson Distillery Tasting Room inside their parent company Hanson Fine Art Gallery
- Great restaurants: Copita, Napa Valley Burger Company and The Barrel House Tavern have joined the downtown restaurant ranks along with long time local favorites Angelino, Aurora Ristorante, Poggio Trattoria, Scoma’s, The Trident and The Spinnaker.