Live Work & Play
There are a lot of good reasons to stay in Sausalito and support your local merchants, not the least of which is that they support you. Our local businesses—hotels, restaurants and retail shops as well as professional services generate more than 50% of the City’s operational budget. In other words, a strong, sustainable economy, ensures that the programs and services the city provide including: parks, public safety services, public library and infrastructure repairs such as street and sewer services are maintained regularly.
If our goal is to not be a big box store community, and we want to maintain the unique character of Sausalito, we need to support our small local businesses, services and boutiques.
Strong Local Business Economy Benefits the Community
Did you know?
- There are 30+ fine dining establishments with in walking distance from the center of town
- There are 9 coffee shops and cafes to choose from—all loaded with character and characters (as well as espresso!)
- There are over 50 small, independently-owned shops and galleries offering personalized service
- There are 3 fine wine shops and tasting rooms, as well as 4 great gourmet deli’s
- Every resident gets three FREE hours of parking every day in the downtown lots (you can pick up a parking card at the police station)
Shop Caledonia Street!
In the past few years, this “local” shopping area has experienced a renaissance with new merchants who are redefining the area, mobilizing others and working together. They are drawing locals to the street and attracting a new, younger demographic of hip and affluent residents. Local’s including those who work in the Marinship area are drawn to Caledonia Street because of the fine services available.
Trending on Caledonia
- Sausalito Optometry uses state of the art ophthalmic equipment, comprehensive eye care services, and carries an extensive selection of designer eyewear for all ages.
- Sausalito Stationery provides Sausalito with gifts, cards and stationery needs of all kinds.
- gr.dano is an atelier and studio where the owners Jill Giordano designs and manufacture their clothes
- Baba Yaga offers an eclectic mix of vintage and new clothing from international and local designers and unique gift ideas with a mystical element.
- Ency Esthetics is a skincare and waxing boutique that offers fast and efficient waxing in addition to cutting edge skincare. We specialize in full body waxing from your head to your toes.
- Driver’s Market is a family-run market offering organic produce, natural foods, a fine selection of wines and a fabulous deli with fresh prepared foods.
- Katya Glass Jewelry is an artisan-crafted collection of uniquely-styled and brilliantly-colored sterling silver and fused glass jewelry.
- Sartaj India Cafe has returned and joins the venerable F3–Fast Food Françias, Sartaj India Cafe, Sushi Ran and Smitty’s Bar making Caledonia a robust and multi-faceted restaurant and bar destination.
- For the home: Pine Street Natural Interiors features non-toxic furniture, organic bedding and custom window coverings; Sausalito Picture Framing has cornered the local market for quality picture framing and Waterstreet Hardware & Marine is a veritable hardware emporium with everything from screwdrivers and paint to coffee pots and foul weather gear
- For your Pooch, we now have Best Friends Pet Supplies is a premier pet supply store providing a wide variety of high quality food and supplies.
Check out our Downtown!
Downtown has really flourished the last couple of years and continues to offer far more than just the standard tourist fare. Many of our residents have invested locally and opened up shop so there are plenty of fresh options for locals too.
Check out these great spots:
- Book Passage by the Bay, Sausalito Ferry Company and Soxalito are favorites among locals and tourist alike!
- Classy and trendy stores such as 2bella Boutique, Azadeh, Barcelino, Hubba Hubba, Klozet and Soxalito all offer a wide variety of women’s fashion, style and price range.
- Artisan galleries and venues including Gallery Sausalito, Madrigal Family Wines, Pick Me Up Chocolates, Real Napa, Scrimshaw Gallery and Studio 333 Downtown.
- Great restaurants: Copita, Napa Valley Burger Company and The Barrel House Tavern have joined the downtown restaurant ranks along with long time local favorites Angelino, Aurora Ristorante, Poggio Trattoria, Scoma’s, The Trident and The Spinnaker. See our dining page for a full list of great restaurants!
Keeping Sausalito's Business Economy Strong
- The City of Sausalito is embarking on an update of its General Plan to refine policies within the plan that help guide and shape the community. The Sausalito General Plan Update will involve a review of existing conditions, development of a refined vision for the City, and establishment of goals and guiding principles towards reaching this vision of Sausalito. Community involvement is essential throughout the process, and the City welcomes the community to follow and contribute to the Sausalito General Plan Update.
- To learn more about what your Chamber does to support economic development, access a copy of the “Economic & Community Development Report” prepared by the Marin Economic Forum report from the City or Chamber websites. You may also access the “Business Start-Up Guide” on either website
- Stay involved and informed, meeting minutes from the City’s Business Advisory Committee (BAC) on which Chamber, business and community representatives serve. The BAC is tasked with ensuring a sustainable economic future in Sausalito; meetings are usually held the third Thursday of every month and are open to the public.